Friday, June 3, 2011

starting over



Sometimes you spend hours, days, weeks or months on a piece of art, and it just doesn't come out right. It's tempting to go with it, rather than starting over to get it the way you really want it to look. I've wanted to create a comic of short stories for the past two years, but life keeps getting in my way. I wanted to get back to it, and finish this story I had started over a year and a half ago, but the face was irking me in this panel. As much as I tried to accept the face and move on, I just couldn't let it go. This has to be right; it has to look the way I see it in my mind. Sometimes there's a disconnect between my brain and my fingers, and sometimes all my nerves are firing in perfect rhythm.


I have a long way to go with all the shading in pointillism, but I am so much happier with the drawing.
I've got my fingers crossed, hoping I can get the rest of the panels to reflect what I see in my head.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

The change in the face was definitely worth the effort. It's subtle, but the face now has a more vulnerable look and it more delicate. Nice work. I did like the bit of the upper arm that was visible in the first attempt.

szaza said...

Thank you, Jeff.
I liked the arm too, but I prefer the position of the body in the newer one. I am glad you think the expression in the newer one is more vulnerable. I just wasn't feeling much from the first drawing, and I am so much more happier now with it.
Thank you!

dya said...

I agree with jeffs comment, it was definitly worth..and beyond that I love the brighter space on the right side of the newer version..it just guides the way to the beautiful expression of the face..
well done..I like the way it looks now.
good luck for the following pieces ;)

szaza said...

Thank you, Dya!