Saturday, October 15, 2011

win a sketch!

With a massive sigh of some sort of sadness but no regret, I'm going with my gut and passing on Cairo. But! Being the travel-hungry girl that I am, I've already booked a ticket and room elsewhere. This city could not be further from Cairo in culture, climate, and cuisine.

I've decided to try something new here. I'm going to have a contest. Guess where I'm off to next, and you could win an original sketch from my little adventure. When I think of this city, I inevitably see images of violins, harpsichords, and powdered wigs in my mind. I've somehow never been to this fine nation, though I've been to five of the seven countries which surround it— two of which I have blogged about on Harika. I'll be needing a very warm coat, a hat, a scarf and gloves, as November there is quite cold. Thankfully, the plane ride is merely a hop from Istanbul.

If you can correctly guess the city where I am headed to in about two weeks, comment on this post with your answer and I'll put your name in one of my stylish hats, along with the names of other correct guessers. On November 9th, I'll draw the winner's name.

Good luck!

31 comments:

Huw said...

Vienna?

froy said...

I'd also say Vienna/Wien - and don't forget to eat a lot of cake! :)

Sarah said...

Well it has to be Vienna I would think

dinahmow said...

That's my guess, too, but if not Vienna, perhaps Salzburg?

Unknown said...

I'm totally wrong, but I'll say Hamburg. Because you should go there sometime.

celiaburke said...

Vienna - that's where some of the greatest composers in history did some of their finest work (Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart).

Jill said...

I'm going with Vienna....

AD said...

It is good that you go with your guts, that´s the only way to go! I´m guessing Vienna as well, and I am wishing you a great journey where ever you go to.

Thomas Taylor said...

Have a nice time in Vienna.

You're going to have to give away a whole sketchbook at this rate;-)

Unless you're going to Prague...

Sabine said...

my initial guess would be Vienna or Salzburg but maybe Dresden?

Huw said...

Although . . . I think Austria is bordered by eight countries, not seven.

n/a said...

Vienna, but Bonn might be another option (as Beethoven was born there)?

Nick Krabbenhoeft said...

I'll say Salzburg, birthplace of both Mozart and Mozartkugeln.

Duru said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Clark said...

My immediate thought was Vienna, and when I looked at the rest of the comments I had to laugh. But yes, I will still say Vienna. All I can picture is Mozart and powdered wigged ladies laden with silks and pearls.

Anonymous said...

Vienna is my first thought...

szaza said...

Keep your answers coming!

Unknown said...

I also think Vienna. Have a really nice trip :)

Duru said...

Oh i understood wrong.. I'm guessing again (: Prague or Warsaw?

Unknown said...

Have fun in Vienna. The hot chocolate is supposed to be good.

Carol said...

I'm thinking. . . Vienna?

Carol said...

I'm thinking. . .could it be. . .Vienna?

Nick Krabbenhoeft said...

I wanted to add that even if you aren't going directly to Salzburg, you should try to make a side trip there. The salt mines amazed an eight-year-old me.

Mark Dodge Medlin said...

Vienna. Enjoy those little sausages.

Tim Clary said...

I’m gonna go with Vienna as well. Have a blast!

omar said...

Everybody agree with Austria.(7 big coutries in the boder although it is easy to forget little Liechtestein, that would make 8)
I will say Viena too.

szaza said...

Haha— all I had to say was violins and powdered wigs! Haha

Agnès Bolley-Vittot said...

my first thought was Austria/Vienna or Salzburg (8 bordering countries w/ LIchenstein) but Poland has 7 countries around too.... Good luck anywhere you go! I enjoy your blog very much.

Agnès Bolley-Vittot said...

First thought : Vienna (but 8 bordering countries) or Budapest (Hungary) good luck anywhere you go.

Leslie said...

Vienna!!! I LONG to go there some day!

caltv said...

Krakow?