Saturday, January 14, 2012

the invasion



On my parents' deck at their house this autumn, a plan was concocted between my dad and his friend. Both men would take their families to Vietnam for the holidays, and it would be incredible. When this plan was hatched, I was in disbelief, as my parents often discuss flying to some far-off land as a family for the holidays, and until I found myself riding a bus to the airport, I hadn't actually taken them seriously. Suddenly, there we were: aboard a 12 hour flight to Ho Chi Minh City, my parents and sister at the front of the plane, and me in the back, with a German woman's feet dangerously close to my tray table. My other sister Natasha was flying in from Dubai with her boyfriend to join us in the next few days, and my dad's friend and his family were arriving about the same time we were. In total, we were ten, and it seemed like our loud, jovial group took over the beach, jungle, and restaurant of the resort where we stayed.



It was quite fun!

No comments: