Saturday, September 12, 2015

the bouregreg



The Bouregreg River runs from its source in the Atlas mountains to the Atlantic, and its waters have witnessed the movements of Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, and pirates over the centuries. Its placid green body separates the city of Rabat and the town of Salé, and it looks like the Salé shoreline is poised for some major development. We walked up the length of the river until we were standing opposite the pottery market, and noticed a long line of white boxes being constructed into apartment complexes.



The sun is unforgiving here; its harshness only tempered by the occasional Atlantic breeze and puffs of clouds. It carves sharp shadows that only soften into delicate lilacs and blues when it prepares its descent over the ocean. It has restricted my movements outdoors to early mornings and somewhere after five, and has quieted my appetite.



I feel like I haven't done much other than get up, go to work, and come home, and I'm hoping that once my home is in order and I've gotten into a rhythm with my classes and students, I can get out  and make some art. There are so many things I have my eye on...

I'm heading over to an art supply store today to pick up a few things.

No comments: